8 Bible verses that reveal Jesus is God
The Trinity is a hard concept for humans to completely understand. Christians explain God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit which is referred to as the Trinity. I simplify it when I explain the Trinity by using the illustration of an egg. When you go to the store and buy an egg, it consist of three parts, the shell, the white and the yolk. All three parts have specific roles but they all make up the egg (remember it is just an illustration). God has three specific roles, but is one God. Many people have an issue with acknowledging that Jesus is God, but the Bible gives us enough Scripture to have no doubt that He is.
From the Bible, John 1 makes it very clear that Jesus is God and the Creator.
John 1:1-5 says,
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of mankind. And the Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not grasp it. ”
Two important facts to notice in this text:
- This confirms that the Word was not only with God, but is God. (The Word is Jesus as described in verse 14, “‘And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us; and we saw His glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. “)
- Jesus is the Creator. Genesis tells us that God created everything. This isn’t contradicting, this is confirming that Jesus the creator is God. “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. ” (Genesis 1:1, NASB)
I will add other supporting Bible verses, but without going into long explanations:
- John 10:30 – I and the Father are one. (Jesus says that He is God)
- John 20:28 – Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” (Thomas says that Jesus is God)
- 1 Corinthians 8:6 – yet for us there is only one God, the Father, from whom are all things, and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him. (The Father and Jesus are equally God, they are the same God).
- Matthew 1:23 – Behold, the virgin will conceive and give birth to a Son , and they shall name Him Immanuel , which translated means, “God with us .”
- 2 Peter 1:1 – Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ (Peter says that Jesus is God).
- Jude 1:1 – Jude, a bond-servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James, T o those who are the called, beloved in God the Father, and kept for Jesus Christ (Jude says that Jesus is God).
- James 1:1 – James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, T o the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad: Greetings. (James says that Jesus is God).